This article is going to be discussing how much horsepower does a supercharger add. what are the advantages of a supercharger? A supercharger is a device that is driven by a belt or chain connected to a crank pulley on the engine.
It compresses the air and fuel mixture in the intake manifold before it enters the cylinder chamber. This is a mechanically driven system which means that it provides more power and torque to the engine. How much hp can you get from a supercharger? This article answers exactly that.
How much hp does a supercharger add?
On average a supercharger can add 40% of the original engine output (stock) this ranges from anywhere from 30%-50% more horsepower depending on the supercharger (supercharger).
With a supercharger, a stock engine produces 250hp. When you install a supercharger, it will add around 40% of that number i.e 100hp which means you have 350hp!.
Factors that influence the amount of Horsepower a Supercharger adds
Size of the supercharger:
The size of the supercharger will determine how much power it can add to your engine. A larger supercharger will produce more power but it also costs more and is heavier and less efficient.
Smaller superchargers are usually cheaper but they produce less power if you compare them to a larger unit. A smaller supercharger also has a smaller surface area and therefore does not work as efficiently as a larger unit.
How fast the supercharger spins:
The faster a supercharger spins the more power it adds to your engine. This is because as the air is being squeezed out, it is forced into the engine chambers. How fast a supercharger spins depends on how much power you want to get out of it and what size of an engine you have.
Engine size & Capability:
The size of the engine affects how much power it can produce. Bigger engines are able to produce more power and more fuel. However, a larger engine will be heavier and more expensive and therefore less efficient than a smaller vehicle.
A small engine does not produce enough power to be able to compete with a larger car and therefore is usually outclassed in performance by a larger car.
What adds more hp Turbo or Supercharger?
In a nutshell, a supercharger is much quicker in terms of acceleration as its moving parts are driven by a mechanical force, whereas the turbocharger is electrically driven and is more fuel-efficient.
At the end of the day, both these force induction systems actually create more power than a stock naturally aspirated engine, assuming you install the right kind of supercharger system.
How Much Does it Cost to Install a Supercharger?
The cost of installing a supercharger is determined by the size of the air compressor and the size and type of supercharger that you have. The average cost is $4000 aftermarket superchargers start from $1000 all the way up to $7000 including labor and the supercharger.
- No Lag in Accelerateion: A supercharger does not produce any lag in acceleration. Meaning as soon as you put your foot on the pedal, the motor will immediately react and kick in with instant power.
- More Horsepower: A supercharger can add as much as 50% more horsepower to your engine, making it more powerful and faster than ever before.
- Fuel Efficiency: The supercharger works by forcing air and fuel into the motor chambers, producing less engine knock and boosting your octane. This makes it a lot easier for your engine to run smoothly with a lot fewer chances of pinging or knocking which will help save you money on fuel.
- Low RPM Boost: Superchargers are able to produce boosts at low RPM. This means that you can get instant torque when you put your foot on the pedal without having to wait for the revs to rise.
- Reliability: Superchargers are extremely reliable and durable and most of them come with a warranty. They are built to last under extreme conditions, making them one of the most popular aftermarket upgrades you can buy.
How long does it take to install a supercharger?
The average installation time for a supercharger is between 6 and 8 hours. Each supercharger is different and it really depends on your location and the labor cost of your location. It is recommended that you avoid doing it yourself and have a professional do it for you.
Superchargers are a very popular aftermarket upgrade for a wide variety of vehicles. They always come with a warranty and have proven to be one of the most reliable aftermarket upgrades. You can find them in a wide variety of sizes so they can be installed on pretty much any type of car, truck or SUV out there.
Robert Anderson is a world class motorhead who rebuilt his first carb at age 10, his first engine at age 15, and completed his first full hotrod build when he was just 18! Previously, he has ran a part warehouse, delivered pizzas, and managed the service department for a $20 million/year revenue dealership. Robert knows cars like few others and he is passionate about sharing his knowledge.